Canopy, carriage storage. BCR stands for Beamish Cog Railway
Upper abutment of the rack viaduct looking down
Rack Viaduct looking upwards to upper abutment. Supports are mainly trolley bus standards. Safety handrails are now in place
Koppel being used to move hard core assisted by Lloyd Lewis and Jim Duncan
Lower carriage shed and view of rack viaduct
The loading/unloading section for rack engines. A length of track can be attached to the end to allow locomotives to run directly onto the track.
The ashpit has high level track for cleaning ash and general engineering.
Upper end of the rack railway. The barrier is normally locked when the rack is not in use.
About maximum load on the rack. The driving trolley is secured by twin chains and the passenger carriage is always on the uphill side of the locomotive.
Driver Robin Hedley, passengers Jim Duncan Matthew Soulsby and Lloyd Lewis
Kitchen extension in progress.
Kitchen extension in use, and remarkably tidy!
Railway gates designed by Ken Swan.The pedestrian gate has a weight -operated self closing mechanism.
Headshunt extension. originally designed to allow longer trains on the upper circuit it has now been incroporated into the rack system via a diamond crossing.
Restored station seat originally from Felling Station. Fabricated cast iron plate “Coghill”. Note use of granite sets for the base,(a gift from Beamish Museum)
First locomotive on the newly installed turntable. The white topped levers at either end are for the locks which engage at both ends.
Transporting the turntable from the workshop.
Restored compressor originally used to provide draft for Steam Elephant and Locomotion on the 1825 railway at Beamish. Now on 7.25” gauge trolley for mobility
New Carriage shed/ colliery winding gear. This structure will have some 80 feet of track on two levels. A boiler and chimney at the back will power a steam winding engine. The depth of the shaft has yet to be calculated.